Thursday, September 6, 2007

Indoor Shoes

I don't really understand the concept of "indoor shoes." Everyday, when I get to school, I have to change into my indoor shoes. These, simply stated, are shoes that have not been worn outside and are meant for indoor use. A few kinds of buildings, mostly schools, require them.

Mine are canvas slip-ons that I bought at "The Mall." They turned out to be shoes that elementary school students are required to wear, but nobody seemed to care. At least, they haven't said anything.

Every morning, upon arrival to school, I go through this routine of taking off my business-appropriate shoes that I purposely brought from the US and then I ungracefully wedge my feet into those growingly odor full shoes. How do people do it with such ease?

I manage to wear these shoes all day and as you may know, wearing any shoes without socks can take its toll on you. I have more and more blisters by the day.

My problem of the indoor shoes also stem from the fact that they usually don't match 99.9% of my outfits (also something I planned very carefully before leaving). The first day at school, another new teacher had a full on suit, but she was wearing tennis shoes. What's the point in that?

My last concern stems from this. Technically, these are "indoor shoes," but for some reason, they are permissible on the soccer/baseball field at school! I guess as long as it's on school ground, then everything is okay. What makes the school grounds so sacred? I have yet to find out the answer to that question.

No comments: