Friday, November 23, 2007

Hajimete

Today was my first time in an onsen (Japanese-style spa). We had the day off from school because it's Labour Thanksgiving Day in Japan. Unfortunately, aside from combining two holidays into one, they don't celebrate it the same way we do. There are no elaborate meals being made all around the country. What a shame.

I decided to take a day trip to the nearby town that's famous for its onsens. I went there mainly to visit and eat with my school nurse and her twins who live there. She's been one of the nicest people to me in school and I just wanted to do something that didn't involve 10 other foreigners for a change.

My friend who teaches at that onsen town graciously came with me. Our original plan was to hike/sightsee, lunch, and then onsen. He would go into the men's and I the women's.

After eating lunch and spending a couple hours playing with her hyperactive 9-year old sons, my school nurse offered to drive us and go with us to the onsen. Hmm...on one hand, it is cool to have a Japanese guide, but on the other hand, it's kinda weird seeing your colleague naked.

I agreed nonetheless- I didn't really know how to say no.

I thought everything was a-ok until we entered the onsen. One son followed my friend to the men's...and so where did the other one go? Yes, he went in with US, right into the women's onsen.

I won't lie, it was a tad awkward. But overall, it was a cool experience and I'm quite relaxed now.

No comments: