My biggest fear of my existence in Japan came true today. Somebody at school asked me to...pour tea for guests!!
The tea lady was on her way out to go to the bank at 2pm and she knew that guests were coming at 2:30pm. After looking around in the staffroom, she said, "Ah, it's alright, Louise is here." It was only then that I realized that I was in trouble. I looked around and I was the only other female in the staffroom. Crap.
So, the tea lady ran through all her instructions and was very thankful that I was there. Then, off she went.
I was sooo pissed off that I was asked to do this.
I remember saying to friends in the US that if a male staff member asked me to help with serving tea, I'd act like I didn't understand. But this situation was sorta different. I didn't quite know how to turn down her request for help because she has been super nice and serves me (and everybody else) tea everyday.
As before, I couldn't believe how sexist this crap was. This bit just added to all my growing annoyance of many things here in this country. I was cursing and giving my male colleagues angry glares (in my mind). I had to go occupy myself by making enlargements in the copy room in fear that I would have an angry outburst at innocent bystanders.
Miraculously, the tea lady came back from the bank in 15 minutes. I no longer had to do the dreaded task of serving tea just because I am female.
However, my anger didn't dissipate.
I understand that guests need to be shown some hospitality, but why do women have to get them tea?!
The guys also have hands, right? So, they can also get the *@#$%^& tea!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I laugh because I remember the time we were all getting our hair done for prom and you kept rolling your eyes because you were PISSED! And i would have been pretty irked about pouring tea for guys too and would have totally fake the stupidity card... I'll hide behind the fact I'm a dumb American. =)
Post a Comment